"From Professor KY Yuen:
1)the key issue here is a VERY high attack rate in family cluster, 83% in family members who have been in Wuhan; this shows that 2019-nCoV can be a highly infectious virus.
2. HK/Macau or other world cities could easily become another Wuhan or another 2003 Hong Kong.
3. The next few days (incubation period 3 to 6 days in our family cluster) could be the last window of opportunity to stop the infection from spreading by silently infected mainlanders that crossed the border into HK/Macau SAR.
4. patients can be afebrile at the time of presentation, despite having radiological changes of viral pneumonia. They can still be shedding virus as evident by positive RT-PCR in respiratory secretions. This makes the control by case recognition very difficult.
5. person-to-person transmission can occur in hospital and home setting with intercity spread (ie, from Wuhan to HK/Macau).
6. We should advocate “universal masking outside home” and “frequent alcoholic handrub” now before it is TOO LATE. There should be extension of Chinese New Year holiday till the situation is stable to prevent returning mainland students bringing virus into schools or universities.
7. We need to stock up diagnostic test kits, mask and other PPE, quarantine areas, disinfectants, kaletra, ribavirin (low HCV oral dosing) and betaferon.
8. We must do everything now to delay or mitigate the epidemic till the increase of ambient temperature to 30 degree Celsius which hampers the environmental survival of this novel coronavirus.
Our situation is NOT good. Need to see what happens in the next 14 days