British National? Obviously!

78 回覆
42 Like 0 Dislike
2020-07-12 19:34:35
defo
2021-02-07 14:35:01
Hi 余御汝如魚愉.
I've been a read-only user and I don't consider using LIHKG to be safe, as my account is directly connected to my ISP email. More importantly, I'm still in HK so I have abandoned the account for a long time.
I am just replying to let u know there r indeed somebodies reading yr post although they may not reply to it.
I have read the two posts from u about the UK life. Thanks very much indeed. My English is quite poor except the fact that I passed in the public exam. I know very few vocabulary. I admire the level of your English, but at the same time, I am quite lazy in learning English, except that I've been listening to BBC radio for almost 1 year.
I'm sure there r many ppl like me with only a pass level of English in exam, and feel powerless in learning English. I can tell the difference as soon as I read your post. I'm not sure what I should do about it.
I am grateful with your posts. Are there anything else we should know about living, working and searching white-collar jobs in London? For example, if the work location would be in Zone 1, where should I live given that I'd just live on my own? I am just thinking about it randomly.
From Google, I know that there should be a decent number of the type of job I am working now in HK in the UK, particularly London. Moving to the UK, living alone and searching for jobs sounds overwhelming, isn't it? Btw, do u have any Mewe page, or sth like that? Although I am already a member of some English group on Mewe.
2021-02-07 22:40:19
Thank you for replying! Exposure and interaction is the key to improvement, but there is only so much you can learn in Hong Kong. You will learn much quicker after you’ve moved here.

As for jobs, there isn’t much I can tell you about, it’s probably better to look at other posts.

London is a huge, huge city. I can’t tell you which borough is perfect for you as I don’t know you in person, but I’ll just put my choices out here for you reference. I would look for places near King’s Cross in Camden or Islington, Paddington, Clapham, Battersea, Fulham, Kensington and Chelsea (if my budget allows it), Ealing and Acton is not bad too. I’d live closer to where work is (assuming its zone 1) for one big reasons: yes you can save up on rent by living far away, but you will soon find yourself spending that extra saving on transport. The net difference might be smaller than you think it’d be, but by living closer you save time. I lived in Kowloon when I was in Hong Kong, and it’s just painful to see people from Tuen Moon or Yuen Long commuting for hours everyday, do not want to be a part of that daily migration.

I have a FB/IG page EST. 1841 posting bilingual UK and HK stuffs. I didn’t use MeWe because the page is for both Gwei Los and Hong Kong people, and most of my friends here don’t use Mewe. I personally think FB is still worth using if the benefits are larger than the costs (in this case, promoting our culture and ideology to Gwei Los). Here is the link: https://www.facebook.com/est1841/
吹水台自選台熱 門最 新手機台時事台政事台World體育台娛樂台動漫台Apps台遊戲台影視台講故台健康台感情台家庭台潮流台美容台上班台財經台房屋台飲食台旅遊台學術台校園台汽車台音樂台創意台硬件台電器台攝影台玩具台寵物台軟件台活動台電訊台直播台站務台黑 洞